Frequently Asked Questions
- What should I expect during a session?
- You can expect us to arrive on time, usually a team of two or more uniformed organizers, unless we have previously talked and decided that you will only need one organizer.
- We will discuss your needs and suggest a plan of action to meet your organizing goals. Once you agree with the plan we will begin with the hands on organizing.
- We will take everything out, begin the sort process and together we will decide what you are keeping. We will wipe down the area before we return the items, we are not house cleaners but want you to have a clean and organized space.
- While we are working on the sorting and purging process-your home will look worse before it looks better. But rest assured we will put things back together before we leave.
- Remember that old saying “A Place for Everything and Everything in its Place”? That is our goal. Once everything has a home it will be much easier for you to keep up.
- We will take out the trash or arrange for the pick up of a large trash, recycling load.
- We will also take items to donation and mail you a receipt or call and arrange pick up.
- What If I Have To Cancel My Appointment?
For some reason – other than a true emergency – you need to cancel our session we request that clients call within 48 hours of the appointment. After one emergency cancellation, a full session fee will be charged.
- Will You Tell My Neighbors How Messy My House Is?
We are bound by the NAPO Code of Ethics, so our work is always confidential. All client information either written or verbal is held in confidence.
- What should I Buy?
Please have large trash bags available, we will use them for trash and items going to donate. If you can collect a few boxes will use them to sort items. Please do not buy organizing products. We will make suggestions on bins, baskets, shelves etc. once we see what is going back into your space.
- What Should I Do Before You Arrive?
Nothing. Please do not clean up for us, we like to see your home as it usually is. This allows us to see what is and is not working. From there we are able to suggest new systems for you.
- How Long Will It Take
Every job varies. It depends on the size of the space, amount of possessions, how many people are working and how long it takes for you to make a decision. The average room is 4-6 hours. Keep in mind that working with papers takes the longest, so offices will require more time.
- My Whole House Is Disorganized, Where Is The Best Place To START?
It’s natural to feel overwhelmed. Part of our expertise in is the ability to assess your needs and together we can decide. Generally speaking we suggest starting with the area that bothers you the most. You will feel so much better once that is accomplished.
- Do I Need To Be Home During The Sessions?
It is your choice. Some people like to work alongside us; others prefer to not participate in the process.
Part of our job is teaching, so we will need time with you to transfer the organizing skill and explain the new systems. If you do not learn it, it will just go back to the way it was before we came.
- Will You Make My Throw Away All My “Stuff”?
No. The final decisions are yours. We will facilitate you in making decisions, your home is your sanctuary and we want you to be surrounded by things you love.
- I’m Embarrassed Since My House Is Such a Mess- But I Want To Get Organized.
This is such a common feeling, so many people say “it’s going to be the worst _______ (fill in the blank, office, garage, etc.) you’ve ever seen” I can assure you we have seen it all. We applaud you for taking the first step-asking for help. I assure you it won’t be long before you feel better and breathe easier.